My weekly hair routine - Hair Care


I have been trying to take care of my hair since quite long and have been trying to keep a sustaining routine. This is what I do weekly.
Since my hair is curly and dry, I wash my hair only twice a week unless I go out somewhere in the dirt and pollution and specially in the day time or afternoon. Generally, I do not go out so my limit of shampooing twice weekly. Remember my article on how often should you shampoo hair?


My Weekday's Routine
  • On the weekdays, when I wash my hair, I oil my hair and try to give it a hot oil treatment. At the very least, I try to cover my hair with shower cap and cover with a scarf for extra heating.
  • If not so elaborately, I do heat the oil and then apply it on the scalp and generally massage my scalp for 15-20 minutes while watching something on the television. 
  • Then, I leave the oil overnight and wash my hair next day. 
  • I do try to massage my scalp every night but I am not so very regular with it.
  • And, I give my hair a trim once in every two months. I do it on my own generally to avoid spending so much of money!!! But, twice in a year, I do prefer to go to a salon for a good hair cut. That reminds me of my next hair cut :)

Washing and Conditioning

  • I use a dollop of shampoo and mix it with a fist full of water and dilute it.
  • I wet my hair thoroughly with water and then, apply the diluted shampoo to my scalp and massage the scalp for sometime.
  • Then, wash it off an follow with the shampoo second time if I have oiled my hair otherwise once is enough.
  • After washing my hair, I squeeze the extra water from the hair and then, I apply a good amount of conditioner on damp hair and keep it on for 3-5 minutes minimum.
  • After that, I wash my hair thoroughly, obviously, and remove all traces of the conditioner.
  • I generally air-dry my hair. I use the towel to squeeze out all the water from my hair and gently wrap it in the towel for sometime to catch all the dripping water. This is something I do in the winters where as in summers, I leave my hair as it is. 
  • I use a cotton towel instead of a turkey towel as the turkey towel is more fluffy and can cause the hair to dry out more than the cotton towel. And, I use a separate towel for my hair - the cotton ones which are extremely thin. 
  • Anyways, after that I run a drop or two of the hair serum through the damp hair and since my hair is curly, I prefer to detangle my hair when it is 80-90% dry instead of letting it dry completely. The dampness helps the hair to detangle easily as compared to completely dry hair.

My Weekend's Routine 

  • I do try to do a weekly deep conditioning treatment as my hair is dry, curly and thin and they get rough and dull very easily so I have to take care of them pretty regularly. 
  • In the summers, I prefer to use home remedies like eggs and curd and such things but in winters, I am using the hair masks. 
  • But, I do not apply the hair masks on the scalp so I use the aloevera gel for my scalp. And, I keep the conditioning treatment for an hour minimum and wash off my hair. 
So, this is my weekly hair care routine. Nothing elaborate but it helps keep my hair soft, shiny and manageable and routine hair cuts ensure no splits.