How to Wave Your Hair

I have always had stick-straight hair, so I've had to learn a few tricks to making bouncy waves. For some reason, it seems that those of us with straight hair want waves, and those with waves want it straight. My mother-in-law has beautiful natural wavy hair, and she's told me of stories how as a teenager she used to iron her hair with a clothes iron. For me, that's hard to imagine.

My hair measures about 4 1/2 feet in length, so I have to find hair care choices for my hair that will keep it from breaking and splitting. Although heat is one way to wave hair, such as with waving irons, hot rollers, etc., I try to stay away from heat so as to preserve my hair from split ends.

I will share just a few ways that you can wave and curl hair without the harmful styling products on the market today.

BRAIDING

This is the easiest way to wave hair, the healthiest, and the one that I most often use. Depending on how much wave I want, I may put as many as 2 to 6 braids in my hair.

Take freshly washed and slightly damp hair and divide it into even sections. Braid loosely for soft waves, and braid tight for tight waves. When you reach near the bottom, roll the remaining two inches of hair on a strip of cloth or a plastic straw. Tie and secure.

NOTE: Braiding the hair every night with at least one braid keeps you from pulling and stretching it in the night. This reduces breakage and helps hair stay healthy.

USE FLORAL WIRE OR PIPE CLEANERS

For perm-like waves, floral wire and/or pipe cleaners (the ones found in your craft department) may be used. Do not sleep on the floral wire as laying on the wire would break hair. (Not to mention would be very uncomfortable).

Take strips of floral wire that are the length of your hair or a long pipe cleaner. Fold these in half. Take a section of hair, (preferably freshly washed and slightly damp), and stick it through the bent wire right next to the bend. (The bend should be right next to the scalp). Gently twist hair into bend to secure. Now take the hair and weave in and out in a criss-cross pattern. When you near the bottom, take the last two inches of hair and wind it around just one side of the wire. Secure the ends by twisting the wire closed.

Take care when removing the wire. Brush out with fingers.

CURLERS

This is an obvious one, but curlers may also be used to wave hair. To obtain curly hair, roll tight on small rollers. For wavy hair, use large rollers. Try to stay away from hot rollers. Not only does this break hair, but it dries it out. Hair needs moisture to curl properly.

Some ones to try... Sponge rollers, cloth rollers, rubber rollers, (without heat), or for really tight curls, perm rods or plastic straws may be used.

There's also the option of having your hair professionally waved, but as you've probably guessed, I wouldn't recommend this for the health of your hair. Chemicals used by professionals are often harsh and damage hair. Personally, I don't know anyone that would care to tackle four and a half feet of it anyway.

One last tip that may help your hair to wave better. Use LOTS of conditioner! Make sure it's the right kind though. A heavy conditioner will just weigh down your hair and defeat the purpose. My favorite is Dove. It has weightless moisturizers that gives your hair the moisture it craves without weighing it down. (No, I don't work for or advertise for Dove. :) This is just purely my preference).

Check out the photo below, it's awesome!

Below is another very neat way to wave your hair. I never would have thought of this idea on my own. I found it on Pinterest, and thought it would be an amazing addition to this article. I have no idea where this originated, but if someone knows, I will be more than glad to give them credits. The picture is very detailed and self-explanatory. Hope you are enjoying the article! Happy Waving!