Long hair after 40: A do or a don’t

This isn't actually me, but almost. Did I say that already? (That was for you, Kristi.)

… I’m starting to wonder.

First, I should admit that I turned 45 last month. I just didn’t want to write that in the headline. So the question really is … Is long hair after 45 a do or a don’t?

I’ve been trying to grow my hair out for the past three months or so because I want to put it in a sleek ponytail or a classy bun. So far my pony/bun is the size of a cottonball so I haven’t worn that look in public just yet.



A few observations about growing out my hair:

1. I look like a witch several minutes after blow drying it in the morning.

2. It’s taking FOREVER to grow less than an inch.

3. I’m not sure what to do with it during this “in-between stage” when I go to work and want to look somewhat professional.

4. My husband, who is a fan of long hair, says it looks good even though it doesn’t.

So, what do you think? Should I give up? Or do you have some long-hair advice that will save me from this fashion faux pas?